Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sense of Urgency vs Patience

What's really the difference between having a sense of urgency or being impatient? I will honestly admit that I am both, and lately it seems that I am becoming increasingly more so. Why is that? Because I want to get things done and move forward with things, or because I truly have no patience?

My boyfriend is much more patient than I am. He describes himself as being 'laid back', at times though, to me at least, it seems that he is so laid back that he doesn't care. This has resulted in him losing some things that he really wanted, such as a painting that we saw for sale. He thought that if he held out they would drop the price. I kept telling him "if you want it then go buy it". He decided the next morning that he would pay their asking price. When we went to go speak with the seller again she told us that she had accepted an offer the previous day, the day when my boyfriend had been inquiring about it. He was so mad that he lost out on the painting. I couldn't help being smug about the whole situation because had he acted on it he would have gotten it.

On the other side of things one might think that I'm too compulsive and that I do not think enough before acting. The way I view things is that if you're not happy make a change. It's your life and you only have 1 opportunity to live it! It's also very short and it can be taken away from you in an instant! One area where I am constantly making a change is in my career. If I'm in a job that I don't like I look for something else right away! Why am I going to sit around doing something that I'm not happy doing / wasting my life?

Can making sudden changes be classified as having a lack of patience or as having a sense of urgency? I

No comments: